The Cook Street Village Activity Centre is a non-profit organization offering social, educational and recreational activities for persons of all ethnic and cultural backgrounds 18+ years. Follow the links on the top navigation bar to find out more about the daily happenings at our Centre.
Our organization believes that it is essential for everyone to have services available within the community which should:
- be accessible to all
- be affordable to anyone who wishes to join
- be run by members and community volunteers
- encourage a sense of belonging to members
- involve members in a positive manner
The Cook Street Village Activity Centre is governed by a Board of Directors which is elected from the membership. It is the Board’s mandate to set overall policies for the organization and to work with the Centre staff. Their purpose is to meet the needs and wishes of the membership and to ensure that the organization operates on a sound financial basis.
The Centre is owned by the City of Victoria in partnership with Cook Street Village Activity Centre Society (New Horizons). Through an operating agreement with the City, Cook Street Village Activity Centre uses the building for programs and services to seniors and all age groups within the Fairfield Area. The maintenance of the building is the responsibility of the City. However Cook Street Village Activity Centre is responsible for the operating costs. These costs are met by:
- An annual membership of $50.00
- A monthly membership of $7.00 per month
- Daily Activity fees – this varies according to the activity
- Fund raising initiatives
- Donations, memorials & bequests from our members and the community
- Grant received from the City of Victoria